FAVORITE WINTER RECIPES
Winter is a season for comfort foods and drinks, and adding oils is a great way to increase health benefits at the same time...for all recipes. Simply heat all ingredients, except the oils, in a pot over the stove, until just hot. Don't boil. Remove from heat, add the oils and stir to combine. Serve in your favorite mugs and top as desired. Easy peasy!
Spiced Cinnamon Cider
A steaming mug of hot cider is the perfect remedy to cold, wintry days. Serve it after a day of sledding or hiking to warm up from the inside out, or just enjoy while you are curled up with your favorite book or playing games with the crew.
- 8 cups apple juice or cider
- 4 cups orange juice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 9 drops Cinnamon Bark Vitality
- 6 drops Cardamom Vitality
- 4 drops Clove Vitality
- 4 drops Nutmeg Vitality
- 3 drops Citrus Fresh Vitality
- Sliced oranges
- Cinnamon sticks
- Add all ingredients to a large pot and stir to combine. Heat until simmering. Simmer for 30 minutes. Serve warm in a mug. Garnish with sliced oranges and cinnamon sticks, if you are fancy like that. ;)
Maple Cinnamon Latte
- 12 ounces brewed, strong organic coffee
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1T organic maple syrup (add more to taste)
- Organic ground cinnamon for dusting
- 1 drop Cinnamon Bark Vitality essential oil
- 1 scoop Inner Beauty Collagen
- Optional: Electric milk frother
- Grab your favorite coffee mug and line the bottom with about a tablespoon of maple syrup.. Pour the brewed coffee on top and stir gently to mix. Add the milk and essential oil (if using) to the frother, hit the button once, and wait while it warms. When ready, pour the milk into your coffee, top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a small drizzle of maple syrup or a small sprinkle of raw sugar if desired!
Homemade Hot Cocoa
Wind down and warm up with your favorite mug brimming with homemade hot chocolate. You can add any Vitality oil to your recipe, but these three are favorites - Lavender Hot Cocoa and Peppermint Hot Cocoa! Or how about Mexican Hot Cocoa for a festive twist?
Lavender Hot Cocoa
- 4 cups milk of choice
- 8 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp honey, or more to taste
- 4 drops Lavender Vitality essential oil
Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- 4 cups milk of your choice
- 8 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp honey, or more to taste
- 2 drops Peppermint Vitality essential oil
Champurrado Mexican Hot Cocoa
- 4 cups milk of your choice
- ½ cup honey or agave
- 2 Mexican chocolate tablets
- ¾ cups masa harina (corn flour)
- 2 drops Cinnamon Bark Vitality essential oil
- 2 drops Orange Vitality essential oil
What's your favorite winter recipe??
Not sure about winter where you are, but it has been making its presence known here for a few days now... I love how life slows down this time of year (well, at least it's supposed to...), a crackling warm fire, baking, and settling in early. You??
If you love do-it-yourself fun, this is for you!
COZY WINTER HOME DIY Evergreen Essence Room Spray
- 15 drops Evergreen Essence Essential Oil Blend
- 10 drops Vanilla Oleoresin
- 10 drops Tangerine Essential Oil
- Add essential oils to a 2oz glass spray bottle, add a splash of witch hazel & top with water! Spritz on all the things!
DIY Frosted Forest Hand Soap
- Foaming hand soap bottle or recycle a YL one!
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Castile Soap
- 10 drops each Peppermint, Idaho Blue Spruce essential oil
- 5 drops Vetiver essential oil
- 1 tsp Vitamin E oil
- Add essential oils, Vitamin E oil and Castile Soap to the bottle, then top with water leaving 1" at the top
Sugar & Spice Wool Dryer Balls
There's something about the smell of warm fresh laundry fresh from the dryer - especially when combining Thieves Laundry Soap and essential oil infused wool dryer balls!
- Organic wool dryer balls
- Ylang ylang, Vanilla & Cinnamon Bark pre-mixed in a dropper bottle, about 10-15 drops of each
- Add 4-5 drops of essential oils to each dryer ball.
- Let the dryer balls air dry for about an hour or to speed up the process you can dry them alone. This will allow the oil to absorb into the wool and not transfer to your clothes.
- When it's time to dry your clothes - toss the dryer balls into the dryer with your clothing. Refresh the oils every 4-5 loads or more often if you prefer a stronger scent.
Winter Spice Orange Garland
This is one of our favorite things to do every year. It is beautiful, smells amazing, adds a lovely touch to any room and is so easy to make. It may be a holiday tradition for some, but leaving it up or making it in the new year is a great way to add a touch of brightness to your home!
- About 5 oranges or a mix of oranges, Clementines and grapefruit for varied sizes and colors
- Essential oils: Cinnamon Bark, Vanilla, Clove, Believe, Thieves
- Fresh cranberries and cinnamon sticks (optional)
- Slice your oranges in circles to ¼ to ½ inch in thickness and arrange them on a non-stick surface or parchment paper. Pour 2-3 drops of essential oils on each slice, then set them in a cool oven and turn the temperature onto the lowest setting your oven will allow. (If your oven does not go below 300, set it there and use a wooden spoon to prop the oven open slightly and allow some heat to dissipate.)
- Leave the slices in the oven for about 5 hours, then shut the oven off and leave the oranges in there overnight or until completely cool. They will be fairly dry, but will continue to dry out over time. You don't want to over dry them in the oven because they can start to burn!
- Once they are dry, string them with some twine, alternating with a few varying sized slices and a cranberry or two, a tied cinnamon stick, whatever you like!
How about a few WINTER WELLNESS + SELFCARE DIYS? If you are like me, you could definitely use a little slowing down, and a whole lotta TLC right now...
Winter Wellness Oral Spray
This little bottle will be your winter companion! Applying oils topically and diffusing are both great health habits, but there is even more benefit to using oils as dietary supplements. Try out this Winter Wellness Oral Spray to give your immune system a little TLC!
- 10mL glass spray bottle
- 1 drop each Longevity Vitality, Thieves Vitality, Frankincense Vitality
- 2 drops Orange Vitality, Lemon Vitality
- Splash Thieves Mouthwash, optional
- Filtered water
- Add all ingredients into a spray bottle and shake well. Spritz into your mouth daily or as desired!
Raindrop Oral Spray
Sometimes our defenses need a little extra boost, and this combination of oils is our go-to when we need something a little ‘more.' The Raindrop Massage Technique is a powerful health tool, so we're using that same combination of oils on, around, and in our bodies when we need it!
- 10mL glass spray bottle
- 1 drop each Oregano Vitality, Thyme Vitality, Peppermint Vitality,
- 2 drops each Lemon Vitality, Orange Vitality
- Splash Olive Oil
- Filtered Water
- Add all ingredients into a spray bottle and shake well. Spritz into your mouth daily or as desired! Note: this one may tingle a bit!
Raindrop Detox Bath Again, with this powerhouse blend of oils! This is a great practice when defenses start to go down or whenever you need a boost. Feel free to also reach out to set up your very own Raindrop session! You won't regret it.
- 1 cup magnesium flakes
- 3 drops each Oregano, Thyme, Basil, Marjoram, Cypress, Lavender
- 2 drops Peppermint, Wintergreen, Aroma Siez
- Add oils and magnesium together in a glass jar and mix. Place the jar under hot, running water to diffuse out into bath water. Soak as long as possible!
New Year's Perfume Spritz
Enter the new year with a cozy, refreshed personal scent!
- 10mL glass spray bottle
- 20 drops each Kidpower & Spearmint
- 5 drops Vanilla
- 2 drops Wintergreen
- Fill with Witch Hazel
- Add all ingredients into a spray bottle and shake well. Spritz onto wrists and neck before heading out the door!
Winter Nights Shower Scrub
This simple DIY leaves your skin silky smooth and its incredible winter scent is perfect for the winter days. Follow with the DIY Body Butter for smooth, happy winter skin!
- 1/4 cup organic fractionated coconut oil
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 15 drops Winter Nights essential oil blend
- 10 drops Vanilla oleoresin
- Mix Winter Nights & Vanilla with fractionated coconut oil in a glass container, then add organic cane sugar to the bowl and stir until combined. To use, massage into skin in a circular motion and rinse well. After exfoliating, moisturize with Young Living's Winter Nights Hand and Body Lotion or DIY Body Butter.
Present Time Body Butter
Take care of your winter skin with this simple, customizable DIY Body Butter. Wait til you try mixing floral oils with spruce and tangerine...
- 8-12 ounce glass container glass container
- 1/2 cup solid refined, organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic mango butter (or a mix of shea butter and mango butter)
- 1/2 cup organic jojoba oil
- 5 drops Idaho Blue Spruce essential oil
- 10 drops Neroli or Geranium essential oil
- 15 drops Tangerine essential oil
- Place coconut oil and shea butter in a bowl and whip with a handheld or stand mixer until fluffy and smooth. Slowly add in the jojoba oil, then the essential oils, mixing as you add. Whip for about five minutes or so. The longer you mix, the fluffier it will become!
TLC also includes community. Mark those brand new calendars or planners now for the second Sunday of every month at 2pm to join us here at my house for Sunday Fun Day! We kicked it off last weekend and dove into the Healing Oils of the Bible. Everyone had a blast and is looking forward to our next gathering! You can't be fully well without a community you do life with. Even if it isn't this community, find a group that fits you, and make some new connections. You will be healthier for it.
Wellness Wednesday is going to be short and sweet this week...I know you are busy preparing for the holidays. Can you believe we are just a few days away from a brand new year??
I shared some fun tips Sunday in our weekly Sunday Night Live. Wanted to share a few with you today!
*If a part of your body "falls asleep", you can almost always "wake it up" by shaking your head. If it happens to you, and you try this, let me know if it works! LOL
Laziness and inactivity kills just as many people as smoking...
Your brain uses the same amount of power as a 10-watt light bulb and your body gives enough heat in 30 minutes to boil about 6 cups of water... Does this remind anyone else of that Easy Bake Oven you had as a child? We waited so long for that couple of bites of cake baked by that light bulb... LOL
Taking a 10-30 minute walk every day, smiling while you walk, is the ultimate antidepressant.
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does...what others think of you is none of your business. Why didn't someone tell me that all those years ago??
However good or bad a situation is, it will change. Remember, "this, too, shall pass", isn't just for the bad times...
Go put this in your diffuser right now!
I have been diffusing oils for nine years no and never have I smelled a blend I love as much as this one!! It is incredible!
Cleansing and purifying, yes, and we have needed that here this week, but there are some pretty great emotional aspects, too!
According to Nan at experience-essential-oils.com, Oregano releases the fear of completion and thoughts of vulnerability. It helps release feelings of inadequate, weak or just can't. It helps you burn those stories you are telling yourself and create a new one...Tea Tree eases that mental stress and purifies your body of emotional hurts. Peppermint releases resistance to learning a new subject or moving in a new direction, releasing the fear of the unknown. Lemon can bring joy and hopefulness along with clarity of thought.
What are you waiting for?? You can thank me later...go get this blend going!!
Don't have a free YL account?? You can create a free account, be linked to me, and I can add you to my wellness group. Click here, make sure it lists me as sponsor/enroller, let me know you created your account and I will send you an invite to my group if you are not already a member.
Enjoy your moments this week. Be present. Nothing has gone wrong. Everything is working out just the way it is supposed to. Know you are loved.
Do you have a weakened immune system? You might if...
1. Your stress level is always high. This means your adrenal glands (your stress and energy glands) are shot and your cortisol gas pedal is pressed to the floor (stress hormone). You’re spending way too much time in flight or fight mode, leaving you exhausted. Your immune system will suffer greatly if you aren’t allowing your body to spend time in rest and repair mode.
2. You’re always sick. Typically when a person falls ill, the body’s adaptive immune system creates antibodies and learns how to defend itself against that intruder if it shows up again. If your body seems to “catch” everything that’s going around and continually does that cyclically, your immune system could need some serious attention.
3. You have regular stomach issues. Did you know that nearly 70% of your immune system is in your gut? Yep! There’s actually GOOD bacteria present there that supports a healthy digestive system - and immune system. If you’re noticing things like diarrhea or constipation becoming part of your normal routine, chances are your immune system isn’t functioning optimally and your gut health needs work.
4. You don’t heal quickly. When your body is injured - like a cut, bruise, or burn - nutrients within the blood rush to the area to help it heal. Quick healing requires healthy immune cells. If your immune system isn’t being properly cared for, your blood may not have the nutrients it needs to rebuild and regenerate like it should, leaving the wound susceptible to further injury or infection.
5. You battle frequent infections. If you’re noticing things like 5 ear infections in one year, pneumonia twice a year, several cases of sinusitis a year, or finding yourself constantly needing antibiotics… you could have a weakened immune system in serious need of some attention.
These are just some of the signs of an immune system in distress. It’s very important that you listen to your body and keep mental tabs on how your body acts and responds to the world around it.
Last, but certainly not least, has to do with how you live your life on a day-to-day basis. Do your best to manage the stress in your life. Stimulating the vagus nerve (the longest cranial nerve in your body) can help you relieve that stress. So how do you do that? Well, it’s really pretty simple. You can gargle water, hum, sing, meditate, get adjusted by a chiropractor, laugh, exercise, or immerse your face in cold water. Next up - get quality sleep! Get at least 7 hours a night and you will have a better chance at keeping your immune system running optimally. You may also want to consider your water and air quality. Tap water is typically laden with chemicals, an average of 7000, the last I heard... Drink filtered water and go outside to breathe in fresh air!
Your body is an amazing web of intricate systems, all working together for one goal - to keep you alive and well - and feeling amazing, of course. The immune system has one of the greatest jobs of protecting you from intruders. I think we can all agree that it deserves all the support it can get!